Sunday, 14 July 2013

Vicious

This is a review of the recent sit-com Vicious that I wrote for the Radio Times Reader's Review section that didn't get picked for publication.

Another case were I thought it good enough to share.

Reading the TV listing for the new sitcom Vicious was like reading the Chef’s Special on an expensive restaurant’s menu; the ingredients look excellent (a base of McKellen and Jacobi seasoned with de la Tour and a hint of biting lemon wit) so anticipation was high for the finished dish. Sadly, when tasted, like a Ramsay outburst and the title of the show, the offering was harsh and dejecting.
While I was comfortable with the staged setting, the main characters felt pantomime-ish and the dialogue forced. The jokes seemed to have been added as an afterthought and without effort, like limp side salad, and the charming Iawn Rheon looked as out of place as a cherry on a fish supper.
Vicious is a dish that quickly went cold and I won't be ordering again.